First Look: Phantom Flex4K
The Phantom Flex4K is Vision Research’s third-generation digital cinema camera that was designed with the cinematographer in mind. The cameras functionality is tailored to support different production styles and workflows. It houses a super-35mm 4K sensor capable of providing sharp, detailed images with extremely low noise and high dynamic range. The Flex4K is capable of shooting from 15 frames-per-second (fps) up to 1,000 fps at 4K, and up to 2,000 fps at 2K/1080p. Its uncompressed Cine RAW format gives operators the fastest high-speed capture on set and maximum quality and versatility for post-production.
- Full resolution 4096 x 2304
- Up to 1,000 fps at 4096 x 2160
- ISO Monochrome 2,000T; 800D; Color 250T; 200D
- Phantom CineMag IV recording media (1TB & 2TB)
- 32GB or 64GB of internal memory
- Monitoring: Three main 3G HD-SDI outputs, which can be configured as independent 4:4:4 1080p signals or used together to supply a dual-link 4K output while maintaining a live HD signal
- Viewfinder: A new, high-quality Phantom OLED HD Viewfinder is part of the system.Support for both component and HD-SDI-based viewfinders are included.
- Optional Integrated battery mount supporting industry standard batteries
- Lens mount: Interchangeable between PL and Nikon F/G standards – Canon EF coming soon
- 2x 12V and 2x 24V accessory outputs
- Both Mac and Windows based software for download and file conversion
From the studio to the ever-changing film conditions on location, the new Flex4K is built to perform. The Flex4K’s new rugged design showcases significant improvements over previous model. The camera seems to have been designed to provide more portability and enhanced functionality to its operators. All of the cameras parameters can be customized via the built-in menu interface located on the right side of the camera body. Operators have the ability to now set up general parameters for the shoot like resolution, playback speed, frame rate and shutter angle. The functionality of the interface seems extremely intuitive and designed to improve the operator’s productivity on set.
The Cine RAW format ensures the fastest high-speed capture on set and maximum quality and versatility for post-production. Files are saved to the hot-swappable Phantom CineMag IV drives with up to 2 Terabytes of storage. All HD-SDI outputs support video scaling for a sharp 4:4:4 1080p output of the camera’s full sensor. Two of the 3G HD-SDI outputs can also be combined for a 4:2:2 ultra-HD signal, which will allow the full resolution to be viewed on 4K production monitors.
Vision Research is officially launched the Phantom Flex4K at 2013 IBC and will start shipping limited quantities in October. Be sure to visit the Vision Research website for up-to-date information regarding the new Flex4K.
We want to know what you think of the new Flex4K. If you’re a current owner or have used a Phantom Flex before on a shoot before, what are some of the upgrade features that entice you most? For those of you on the fence are you interested now? Let’s talk about it!